Spiced Shredded Lamb
A slow cooked whole shoulder of lamb combined with a jar of prepared curry paste, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, stock and chick peas then cooked until meltingly tender and `pulled' until the meat falls away from the bone. A perfect platter for a lamb adventure and sharing.
1.8kg whole shoulder of lamb
1 x 125g curry paste of your choice (we used madras)
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
300ml good, hot lamb or vegetable stock
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained
Freshly chopped mint and coriander leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/160°C/140°C fan.
2. Put the curry paste, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and stock in a large non-stick roasting tin, approximately 40 x 30cm. Stir well.
3. Place the lamb on a chopping board and make several slits over the surface with a sharp knife. Season on both sides and transfer to the roasting tin. Spoon over the curry mixture.
4. Cover with baking parchment then foil and roast for 4 hours, turning occasionally. 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the chickpeas and continue to cook uncovered.
5. Remove the joint from the tin, transfer onto a chopping board and ‘pull’ the cooked lamb apart by securing with a fork and shredding meat with a second fork.
6. Return the meat to the sauce, garnish with the herbs and serve with warm flatbreads or naans, a selection of relishes and salad.
1 view0 comments