With the BBQ season upon us here’s James’ easy Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs Recipe – don’t worry you don’t need a fancy Masterchef water bath just a pot and a thermometer!
Ingredients (Feeds 4-6)
2 racks of Hereford beef short ribs
4 Tbsp Sea Salt
3 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
For the BBQ Sauce:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
85g brown sugar
3 tbsp malt vinegar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp tomato purée
1. Ask James to trim the fat off the rib racks and remove the silver skin, as well as any excess fat across the surface off the rack. Leave rib rack intact (i.e. don’t cut down into individual ribs)
2. Prepare the rub by mixing one part salt to one part black pepper. Mix thoroughly before rubbing liberally over the surface of the ribs, making sure to work into any crevices on the racks.
3. Place the racks in a kitchen zip bag each and seal using a straw to suck all of the air out of the bag.
4. Take a large pan or pot and fill with water – clip/fix a thermometer to the side of the pan so you get a constant reading, place the ribs in the bags into the pan and bring up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave to cook for 24 hours.
5. An hour before the ribs are ready make the BBQ sauce, just gently fry the onions then add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 20-25 minutes to taste.
6. Remove bags from water and carefully open sealed bags with scissors.
7. Pat dry with paper towels to remove excess liquid.
8. Transfer beef to preheated grill and sear over high direct heat. For 1-2 minutes on each side.
9. Transfer ribs from grill to counter surface. Carve and serve with the sauce.